Sunday, December 07, 2008

Fit to be tied

I just wanted to post a quick note about tying bows yourself vs. buying them. I had one reader say that she saves time by buying them because it takes too long to tie. However, when I did the 8000+ photo cookies for Showtime, all of the bows were hand-tied by me and my two assistants. The cost of buying them and keeping them in stock - or even having enough stock for emergency orders is just too expensive, I think. Once you learn the technique of tying, you should be able to create at least 100 bows per hour - busy work for your hands while you're watching a movie or the news or something. I like to grab a spool, put in a movie and start tying. I'll get a few hundred of one color before the end of the movie. One spool will get me over 1000 bows - and that's for $1.50 per spool from Papermart, so it just seems to me a cost effective way to keep production costs down. I'm such a fast bow-maker that I would be making them as one of the girls would be gluing them to the packaging - and gluing is a fast process... so, I could keep up.

Just my 2-cents worth for the day. Have fun!

No comments: