Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Candy thermometer issues

I was making English toffee last night, and there are telltale signs of when it is nearing being done, like puffs of steam escaping.  So I keep watching the thermometer, and it sort of stalled around 225, but yet the toffee was definitely getting hotter.  Finally when it was huffing and puffing, I did the old fashioned water test - dropping a bit in a glass of cold water, and sure enough it hardened instantly - yet the thermometer still was only at 225.

The only thing I can think is that there was condensation inside and that was throwing it off.  Regardless, I bought a new thermometer today.  I've got the cap off of the other one, and I'm just going to let it dry out for a long time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenny! I watched your YouTube video on English Toffee and decided to try it this evening. OMG. It turned out so wonderfully and tastes just like the excellent toffee I've been buying from a high end chocolatier. I love your personal style and how you make your recipes no big deal. Thanks so much for sharing that fabulous recipe. Annie